Thursday, November 29, 2012

Winter Wonderland Window! (say that 10 times fast)

I just spent three days with a few artistic youngsters at Oaklea Middle School in Junction City, making this window painting!  Oaklea's after school coordinator asked me to come out and help the kids get their courtyard windows all dressed up for the season.  I worked at Oaklea last spring, making a big jungle-y mural near their gym.  For this project, the program coordinator chose 5 students who were the most dedicated and serious about the work we did last year.  These select few kiddos and I made this window mural!

Man, is window painting a different animal than regular mural-ing! The paint looks so different when it's got light shining through the back of it! Every brush stroke really shows up. The whole thing changed so much too as the sun went down since we were working from 3pm to 5pm!

The main concept I introduced to the kids for this project, was simple perspective.  As objects get further away from you, they get smaller and lighter in color.  Without further prompting from me, the kids remembered this concept as they painted their trees and mountains.  Proud art teacher!

Overall a good, new experience for me and the kids.  Hope to go back to re-haul these windows again for the spring! I'm seeing fields of spring flowers..... :)
winter window painting with kids

winter window painting with kids

winter window painting with kids

winter window painting with kids

winter window painting with kids

winter window painting with kids

winter window painting with kids

1 comment: